Monday, June 30, 2008

THE POWER OF A GODLY MOTHER

As I was contemplating the scripture in the "Being Transformed" post I kept being drawn back in my memory to a poem that I wrote for my mother for Mothers day some 20 years ago. I found it interesting the comparison that I had drawn between that scripture and the poem I wrote about watching my mother (a very godly woman) and how us girls watch our mothers lives and then as we grow up our lives take on a likeness to theirs, we hope! How very blessed I am to have such a godly mother. What an honor it would be for me if when they are grown my grand daughters can say the same thing about me!





She is Watching You



She is watching you

and all that you do.

From very early on in life

she was watching you be a wife.

She sees the love and care that you give.

It's teaching her how to live.

She watches you when you are happy.

She watches you when you are sad.

She was even watching when you were mad.

She is there each and every day

watching you while you pray.

She is your loving daughter

and her life is an image of all you have taught her.

When she has grown your blessing will be,

that the image of Christ is what you see.


by Susan Gough



I love you mom, and even though I'll be 49 years old in August I am still watching you!



As I was digging in my file for this poem I came across a card that my mother gave to me for my birthday years ago.





Daughter,

today and always,

please know that I see you.

I see the path you've made

that's all your own.

I see the many unique

talents and gifts you have to share.

I see your brilliance, your enthusiasm,

and how deeply you care

and hurt sometimes.

I see your hard-earned wisdom,

your soft pure innocence,

your unconditional goodness.

I see what a difference you make in this world,

and I hope you know

how very much I love you,

and how proud I'll always be

to have a daughter

as wonderful as you.


Love, Mom


How blessed I am! The Lord may not have given me a sister but I am so blessed to call my mother my best friend and to have had two Christian parents to teach and guide me throughout my life.

No comments: