Thursday, July 14, 2011

Kennecott Copper Mine:

Today we went on a field trip to the  Kennecott Copper Mine
Jana, her sister Lara and I took all the kids to the world famous Bingham Canyon Mine.  The mine has produced more copper than any other mine in history. It is one of two man made objects seen from space. To give you some idea about the size of this mine, it’s three-quarters of a mile deep and more than 2 3/4 miles across at the top. It is the largest open pit mine in the world.

DeWayne acually worked for Kennocott for 5 years when our boys were babies and he drove one of these huge trucks.

This is what the face of the mountain looks like where the mine is.
This view is looking west from the Salt Lake Valley.


 


Kennecott Utah Copper: Take a virtual tour

Portia has been studying American History and this morning we watch a movie about the Statue of Liberty.
She ask me if they painted it.....I said I did not know. Then while we where at the copper mine in the visitors center we saw a model of the Statue of Liberty and we learned that she is covered sheets of copper and her green color is the nice patina from age that copper goes when it is out in the weather......so cool....I might have known this at one time but if I did I have forgotten.

Hope your having a wonder summer
Blessings
*Susan*

No comments: